DesiandLucy4ever@blogspot

DesiandLucy4ever@blogspot

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Part 2: After the first date

A few day after the first date Desi saw Lucy on the beach. He was with Freckles, Freckles had arrived in New York, he brought her to a party on the beach. When Desi was walking on the beach alone he spotted Lucy. “Hi! How is my rumba teacher?” she said. “Hello!” said Desi. Desi loved that Lucy remembered his cheesiest excuse for asking her out for a date.
Lucy: "I had a wonderful time at El Zarape the other night," (Desi said later: “She looked right through me with her beautiful big bleu eyes.”)
Desi answered: "Thank you, and so did I."
Lucy: “sit down” Lucy patted the sand next to her. He went to sit beside her. They spent the entire day together. They went to her apartment that night, that would be their first night together. From that time he called her ‘Lucy’ instead of Lucille.
The next thing in the morning, Lucy called Al: "I’m really sorry… I'm moving out, Al. I'll send somebody to pick up my clothes. I'll explain it to you another time." she said.


So did Desi to Freckles, It was the hardest thing Desi ever had done: "I don't know what made me do what I'm going to do, I’d not want to hurt you. You know I was in love with you."
Freckles:
"Yes, but you're not now, are you?"
Desi:
"Freckles, I don't know how a thing like this can happen. It's unnatural, it has no reason."
Freckles: "Everything that happens in life is natural and has a reason. Good luck, Desi."


Too many girls was their first film together. There was so much happiness en joy on the set.  “You could tell the sparks were flying with Lucy,” says Eddie Bracken, a costar in the film.
Friends if Lucy warned her against Desi. They said that he was to young for her and that he was a playboy. But Lucy was so in love that she didn’t care.

 “It happened so fast it seemed it wouldn’t last. Everybody on the set made bets about how long it would last.” said Eddie Bracken. “When we got married, nobody gave it more than two weeks. There were bets all over the country, with astronomical odds against us– Desi Arnaz
 “She talked about Desi all the time,” recalls her friend, actress Maureen O’Hara. “I said, ‘Go ahead and marry him if you love him.’”.
The best thing that happened to me that year was meeting Lucille.” said Desi to a friend.
Too Many Girls 1940

No comments:

Post a Comment